Au Revoir, Keep It Flowing! A Message from Rita

I really like what the French say when they part.  They say “Au revoir”, which more or less means “until the next time we see each other.”

After more than eight wonderful years of being a member of the Alabama Water Watch staff, I’ve decided to step away from that official capacity and return to being a volunteer.  Volunteers are the bedrock foundation of this program, and without you, the Volunteer, there would be no Water Watch.  Thank you for your sacrifice and commitment.

img_9272-2

I’ve learned so much the past eight years – about science, why Alabama is so very beautiful, and about why you care.  I’ve loved hearing your stories and sharing entertaining moments with you.  We’ve walked through disappointments together, and laughed at those funny occasions life hands us.  I’ll never forget a monitor telling me that when his data form blew off the dock, he took a quick look around, stripped off his clothes and dove in to retrieve it!  Now that is dedication to getting the data!!!

I don’t feel that I’m leaving, but I won’t be at work in the AWW office. I know you’ll be patient in this time of transition.  I truly hope that our paths will cross again … and often.  I’ve put together a special message for you, my dear Water Watch friends.  It’s only a little over a minute – but I could go on for hours about how much you all have meant to me.  Au revoir and keep it flowing on!!!

26 Replies to “Au Revoir, Keep It Flowing! A Message from Rita”

1. Rita, now you will never hear my “bell-ringer” pun…unless you come over to the lake and try our water slide that is longer and faster than ever. But I do remember your sending me the “herding cats” commercial…one of the best ever!
    Mary Ann & I will miss you at the AWW office. Please keep in touch.
    Dick Bronson

2. The only Rita I know is like a fish (or @ least drinks like a fish). That tradition will have to continue regardless…

3. Rita, I wish you all the best! I know the AWW office will not be the same without you. Although your visits and phone calls to Swingle have been few since AWW moved to your new offices, I certainly enjoyed all our conversations that always somehow seemed to include personal updates and inquiries as well as taking care of the business at hand! That’s because you’re a “people person” and you have the ability to listen and make people feel special. Good Luck in whatever your future holds for you.
    Susan Smith

4. Can’t believe you’re leaving. . before I ever got a chance to meet you, no less! I do hope, however, that it has something to do with . . . your sailing instructor??

I’ll miss u as you’re the only person I know there. You’ve been helpful and humorous. . . and didn’t let on where they can find that soul who lost his info sheet to the wind and water.

Take care and good luck. Should u ever sail into Perdido Bay, do call.

5. Going to miss you Rita. We’ve shared a lot together over the past 8 years. Enjoy the next phase of your life! But please keep in touch and don’t forget your Fisheries Family.

6. We’ll miss you Rita, but so happy you will still be a part of it all. Thank you for all you have done for AWW.

7. Rita, you will be greatly missed. You always had the answer to my questions with a friendly smile that could be felt in our online conversations. You gave me security and encouragement and were always happy and cordial. You have given so much of yourself all these years. There will be some big shoes to fill! Good luck with new endeavors and hope to see you again soon.

8. Rita,
    We’ll miss you! I’ll miss you!. Always helpful, always friendly, always making us (me) feel important when it is the staff-You folks, who are the day-to-day dedication.
    Thank you for all you’ve given.
    Blessings for good health, happiness, peace and Adventures in your future!
    Sharon

9. So sorry to hear you are “leaving your desk”!!!! Best wishes as you leave the filing and phones behind to “dip your toes” in the water. Please stay in touch or call us for lunch sometimes.

Jeanie

10. It was always a pleasure speaking and emailing with you. Best of luck with whatever you do next! I wonder if you’ll be housesitting all over the world?

11. Thank you for your dedicated service. The help that you have provided is sincerely appreciated!

Travis

12. Thank you, Rita, for all that you have done to promote Alabama Water Watch! Please keep in touch with us in Jacksonville, AL!

13. What a sweet reprise. Thank you Rita for you have done and will continue to do as a volunteer with AWW! Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Godspeed.

14. Dear Rita

You did a wonderful job at AWW, I am grateful for your training, your encouraging emails, your sense of humor and your knowledge.
    Hope the next step in your life is fulfilling and a path to awareness.

Hugs
    Maria Brindle

15. You will be missed by all. But it is understood that there is a point where we must take care of ourselves before we can take care of anything else. Live a wonderful life and enjoy the much stressless life as a volunteer. It feels good!

Flint River Conservation Association

16. Rita, I’m sure that you are missed lots and lots. You’ve given a great deal to AWW: not just your skills and time, but also your wonderful sefl! You make volunteers feel welcome, significant, appreciated. You help those of us who need help, and are patient with those of us who need LOTS of help.

Thank you so much for your years with AWW. I hope someday I’ll be able to become certified again, and serve as a volunteer, too.

17. I am so glad we gained this beautiful gem. Every day she talks about the lakes and streams and why it’s so important for us to keep our waters clean. I know you guys will miss her but we are so blessed to have her back here at SouthWare.

18. Rita, wonderful, wonderful Rita: what will I do without you to smooth the way for my record-keeping? :>) Your sunny disposition and can-do attitude have been enormous contributions to “the cause”. You will be sorely missed. Enjoy having more freedom to do whatever, whenever!
    Lotsa love,
    Cindy

19. Rita, you were a joy to work with while we were volunteering! We’ve “retired” from AWW, too, but enjoyed our time playing “citizen scientists!”

We’ve met so many great people since we moved from Michigan 4 years ago and count you as one, though we never met face to face. Hope your next chapter is another great one, Rita!

Chris & Joe Segatti
    MCRSVP volunteers

20. Thank you for your dedicated service to such a valuable program, Rita!! Volunteer programs like AWW are crucial in maintaining safe water quality standards in Alabama. Not enough people appreciate that fact, but you and the rest of the AWW family have done an incredible job of educating the public and empowering them to make a difference in their local communities.