Volunteer Spotlight: Kyle Azevedo

By Jera Dills

Kyle Azevedo is a Volunteer Monitor on Alabama’s Coast. Read more about Kyle in his interview below!

Photo credit: Kyle Azevedo

Where do you call home?

My home is in Magnolia Springs. I have lived here for 4 years and have a deep connection with the local environment.

What got you interested in Alabama Water Watch, and why is water quality monitoring important to you?

I became interested in Alabama Water Watch because of the work that I was lucky enough to be a part of at the City of Gulf Shores. As someone passionate about environmental conservation, I believe that monitoring water quality is crucial for maintaining healthy ecosystems and safeguarding public health. Clean water is essential for all forms of life, and by participating in water quality monitoring, I can contribute to preserving our precious resource.

What is the most interesting thing you have seen while sampling?

One of the most fascinating experiences I’ve had while sampling was observing a massive alligator and the diverse aquatic life thriving right alongside it in a seemingly pristine stream. It highlighted the interconnectedness of ecosystems and reinforced the importance of maintaining water quality to support biodiversity.

What are your biggest challenges/issues in your favorite watershed?

I hold a deep affection for the Magnolia River watershed, as it is where I call home. However, it faces a significant issue: despite being a beloved spot for relaxation and community gatherings, it often suffers from pollution and littering. This trend highlights the need for greater awareness about the consequences of neglecting our waterways’ health. Educating others about the importance of maintaining a clean and healthy watershed is crucial to ensuring its long-term sustainability and enjoyment for future generations.

Why would you encourage others to consider becoming volunteer monitors?

I would highly encourage others to become volunteer monitors because it is a rewarding way to make a tangible impact on environmental conservation. By monitoring water quality, volunteers gain valuable insights into local ecosystems, contribute valuable data for scientific research and management decisions, and foster a sense of respect for our natural resources. Additionally, volunteering with organizations like Alabama Water Watch provides opportunities for training, networking with like-minded individuals, and participating in meaningful community initiatives.