Meet AWW’s New Director, Mona Dominguez!

Alabama Water Watch and the Auburn University Water Resources staff are pleased to announce that Mona Dominguez has stepped into the role of AWW Program Director. Mona has served as Volunteer Monitor Coordinator, 4-H AWW Program Coordinator, and is on the AWW and Global Water Watch Board of Directors.

We recognize that many of you already know Mona, so introductions might not be necessary. Please take a moment to read the following statement from Mona, and feel free to leave words of encouragement and support in the comments!

Mona with the Cahaba Lilies at last year’s AWW Annual Meeting

When I came to work at AWW as a graduate student in 2009, I was blown away by what Alabama Water Watch had been doing to protect and restore water quality in Alabama for nearly 20 years. When I was offered a full-time position with the Program, I felt extremely lucky to have found such a fulfilling, challenging, and fun job. Quickly, AWW became much more than a job for me. My co-workers and the AWW volunteers became some of my closest friends, and something much closer akin to family. The feeling I get from knowing I am part of a network of dedicated, motivated, and wonderful people throughout Alabama who are trying to make the world a better place is something that keeps me going on even my hardest days.

Mona and former Director Dr. Deutsch pictured with the 4-H AWW Washington County Club

Through my experience working with AWW, I’ve learned a great deal about water quality issues, the value of water data, Alabama’s amazing biodiversity and water resources, and most importantly what a “small group of thoughtful, committed citizens” can achieve.

Mona demonstrates stream biomonitoring methods to 4-H Youth.

When I was approached by Dr. Srivastava, Director of the Auburn University Water Resources Center, about stepping up to the role of AWW Director, I felt overcome with emotion. I was truly honored to be considered to follow in the footsteps of such amazing individuals such as Eric Reutebuch, our recently retired Director, and Dr. Bill Deutsch who founded the AWW Program and was the director for 20 years.

Mona and Dr. Deutsch at an AWW informational booth in 2012.

As Director, I strive to lead the Program in a way that continues the good work AWW has been doing for 25 years and prepares us to respond to the new challenges as they arise.  We want to provide everyone in Alabama with the opportunity to be citizen scientists so that they can take part in the restoration and protection in their own watersheds. We want AWW to continue to serve as an example for other volunteer monitoring programs through the nation and the world.

With this new opportunity, I continue to feel like one of the luckiest people in the world! I look forward to working with all of you for many years to come.

~ Mona

11 Replies to “Meet AWW’s New Director, Mona Dominguez!”

1. Congrats Mona! And congrats to the AWW Program for acquiring such a capable, experienced and dynamic leader! Plus, she is a fantastic, caring person who is truly dedicated to the mission and vision of AWW. AWWsome!!!

2. I can think of no one better suited and prepared to take on this great responsibility.

I expect great things.
    Mr. Bill

3. Congratulations Mona !!
    I’m so proud for you. You’re a hard worker and definitely deserving of this.
    I know you will make AWW grow and be even better. I wish the very best to you and to AWW !

Susan

4. Mona, congratulations! Well deserved…we are confident that you will continue to lead AWW forward just as have Bill and Eric. We look forward to working with you for many years.

5. Mona, Congratulations, and aren’t we water watchers lucky to have you as the new director. Your enthusiasm and creativity is evident to those who have met you. Continue the great legacy left by Bill and Eric.
    Barbara and Ron Estridge

6. Mona – you will be the best ! I’ve always been impressed at your knowledge and professionalism at all the training sessions I’ve attended with you.

7. Congratulations Mona!! I cannot think of a more dedicated person for the job.
    You are always smiling and have a way of leading those around you in a positive direction.

8. As my husband and I are new to the area, we are looking forward to meeting you and learning what we can do to share the responsibility of keeping our lake clean.

9. Thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging words!!!! You have no idea how much I appreciate it! Y’all are the best!!! It is truly an honor to work with each of you.